Our Highways Reporting Tool allows you to report gritting and monitor the status of existing requests.
Do not request gritting online if:
- it poses an immediate danger to public safety - call 0345 606 6171
- it’s on a trunk road in Suffolk - call the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000
- it's on a private road
Requesting a gritting or salting takes about 2 minutes.
You can begin by clicking the Start button, or read the instructions below for further guidance.Start
Check for existing reports
You can check if a problem has already been reported by clicking on the Show Key button on the map.
The coloured icons show the progress of each report.
1. Read the information on the entry screen then click the Continue button
2. Find your location by typing the road name, parish or postcode of the problem in the search box. (You can also use the "Find my location" button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.)
3. Click on the map to plot the location of the problem (you can drag and drop to pinpoint the exact location)
4. Complete the Report a Problem form
5. Click the Submit Report button
We'll investigate your report, and make a decision on any action to be taken within the next 30 days.
The response to a report is based on:
- the type of problem
- what road category the report is on
- risk to public safety
If you provided an email address, you'll receive a reference number for your report and updates on what will happen next.
If you did not provide an email address you can still check for updates - use the search box or zoom in to your report location and click on the coloured pin for information.
You can read more about how we manage and prioritise gritting and salting.
Reporting a non-emergency problem online is quicker and easier. It also saves money, which can be used to improve services.
But you can report a problem by email or phone using the following contact details:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0345 606 6171