The categories of this information that we collect, process, hold and share include:
- personal information (name, address, phone number and email address)
- health details to support your application
Why we collect and use this information
Suffolk County Council (SCC) would like to store and use your Blue Badge application data to:
- assess eligibility for a Blue Badge
- produce and distribute the badge
- monitor usage
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use this information under the GDPR legal basis of ‘Public Task’. You have the right at any time to withdraw consent and stop the processing of your application by contacting our Blue Badge team.
Telephone: 0808 800 4005.
Collecting this information
Whilst the majority of the information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with data protection legislation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.
We collect and use your personal information to provide an effective Blue Badge service and to meet our statutory duties under the Disabled Persons’ Parking Badges Act 2013 and other relevant legislation such as The Equalities Act 2010.
Storing this information
SCC hold copies of applicants photos for the lifetime of the badge. Data relating to appeals, customer correspondence and Independent Mobility Assessments (IMA) are held for 7 years.
Who we share this information with
We are obliged to share your personal data with the Department for Transport to eliminate fraud, with other Local Authorities if you move into their boundaries and with Community Enforcement Officers.
As part of the application process, we will share your information with:
- Access Independent – an independent mobility assessment company in line with our policy
We may also share your information when we are required by law, for example when:
- we are required to by the Courts
- the Police want information related to a serious criminal investigation
Why we share this information
We share application data with our partner, Access Independent to obtain an unbiased assessment of eligibility for a Blue Badge. This data sharing underpins our application process.
We do not share information about individuals without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. We share information securely. Anyone who receives information from us is legally required to keep it confidential.
Data collection requirements
The Department may share information about Blue Badge applications for:
- assessing eligibility
- conducting research or analysis
- producing statistics
- providing information, advice or guidance
SCC has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of our data is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access and use of the data. In some cases the law may require that personal information has to be shared with other agencies without my agreement, this will be to protect adults with care and support needs who might be at risk of harm. In the event that an adult at risk lack capacity to share their information a decision will need to be made as to whether this is in their best interests and should follow the principles below.
Any personal information should be shared on the basis that it is:
- necessary for the purpose for which it is being shared
- shared only with those who have a need for it
- accurate and up to date
- shared securely and in a timely fashion
- not kept for longer than necessary for the original purpose.
To be granted access to information about Blue Badge applications, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, individuals have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information contact email@example.com.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed, and
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can read SCC’s corporate privacy notice.
If you would like further information about this privacy notice, please contact the Blue Badge team:
Telephone: 0808 800 4005.