We are committed to ensuring that our staff and communities are treated fairly and have access to all the services that we provide.
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish our equality information on an annual basis. This means demonstrating to you how we are delivering against our corporate equality objectives.
In consultation with our communities and our staff, we developed the following equality objectives to reflect our commitment to equality:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation;
- Advance equality between everybody;
- Foster good relations between communities, tackling prejudice and promoting understanding.
By publishing our progress against these objectives, we aim to show that we are making progress in these very important areas.
We also know that there are areas in which we can improve, and this is reflected in our equality information reports.
We want to publish information that reassures you that we are focused on giving proper consideration to equality issues, and meeting your expectations.
We are very keen to know your views on this information, and for you to challenge us on areas for improvement. Your views will help us shape the information we publish in the future.
What we are publishing
We are making the following information available as part of our duty to meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010:
- Equality information about our service users by directorate for 2012 (we will review this information annually)
- Our workforce equality monitoring report Jan 2012 - Dec 2012
- Our diversity demographic profile of Suffolk
- Our Equality Information: Adult and Community Services (PDF, 788KB)
- Our Equality Information: Children and Young People Services (PDF, 917KB)
- Our Equality Information: Public Protection (PDF, 811KB)
- Our Equality Information: Economy Skills and Environment (PDF, 639KB)
- Our Equality Information: Resource Management (PDF, 648KB)
- Public Health Report and analysis (PDF, 232KB)
- Suffolk Fire and Rescue Workforce Equality Information (To follow)
- Our workforce equality monitoring report (PDF, 424KB)
- Our demographic profile (PDF, 886KB)
Our Action Plans - 2013 to follow
- Equality Action Plan: Resource Management (To follow)
- Equality Action Plan: Children and Young Peoples Services (To follow)
- Equality Action Plan: Economy, Skills and Environment (To follow)
- Equality Action Plan: Public Protection, Social Inclusion and Diversity (To follow)
- Equality Action Plan: CSD (To follow)
- Equality Action Plan: Adult Community Services (To follow)
What happens next?
If you would like to find out more about our work on tackling inequalities contact the Equalities and Inclusion Team on 01473 265161
Our Equality Charter
We want to promote an inclusive culture for all our staff and the communities that we serve.
Our objectives are to:
- Provide services that are accessible and appropriate for everyone
- Provide county leadership to ensure equality and diversity in employment
- Provide organisational capability for continuous improvement, learning and sharing existing good practice
- Work with our partners to develop cohesive communities
- Work towards the elimination of all forms of discrimination and harassment
- Positively promote equality through our activity and communications.
Through embedding equality and diversity in all that we do, we will improve both our effectiveness and efficiency as a public service provider, by ensuring that the resources invested in services actually benefit all those who use or need them.
Interpreting and translating services
Providing interpreting and translation services to people who need assistance to access Suffolk County Council services.