Our volunteers become part of the team for a variety of personal reasons, whether wanting to get involved more with their local community, develop their skills or simply have a passion for the work of the fire service.
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer is asked to complete a simple application process. Once you've been welcomed into the team, there will be plenty of opportunities to represent Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service by:
- making Safer Home visits
- supporting admin and IT tasks
- driving vehicles (Non-emergency)
- giving talks to community groups and schools
- delivering fire safety advice to pupils at Crucial Crew events
- representing us at events, such as the Suffolk Show
- giving safety information at community events
What's in it for me?
Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to volunteer, but all volunteers will realise a sense of pride by ensuring Suffolk is a fire-safe place. We will provide you with:
- ongoing training
- uniform for when you are undertaking duties
- support to develop your skills
- expenses to cover any costs you incur whilst on duty
- a friendly and supportive environment
Can anyone volunteer?
In short, yes! We just ask that you are:
- 18 years of age or older
- available for at least 6 hours a month
Download our application pack (PDF, 67KB) for more information.
You can request an application pack from us:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01473 260588, 9am to 5pm (Monday to Thursday) or 9am to 4pm (Friday).
After you've applied
Once you've applied, we will contact you for a chat and answer any questions you may have. We’ll ask for some references and invite you to the next volunteer induction course.
We run induction courses depending on the number of applications we receive, so there may be a delay before we get to meet you. Once all this is completed, you'll be a part of the team!