Raising the Bar (RtB) is Suffolk's response to tackling levels of education attainment in Suffolk. As a relatively affluent county we should be doing better. Solving this problem is not something any one person or organisation can do alone - only by working together will we be successful.
The objectives of Raising the Bar are that:
• Every child reaches their potential
• Every child is taught by a good or outstanding teacher
• Every child attends a good or outstanding school
• Every child is given the best preparation for life before and beyond school
For 2014/15, Raising the Bar has the following priorities:
• Improving schools – to increase the number of good and outstanding schools and to improve results and progress (with a clear understanding of the respective roles and responsibilities of all who play a role in this)
• Learning Partnership – initial action is to agree the focus and establishment of the Learning Partnership, with a clear role around enhancing system led improvement.
• Teacher Recruitment (to be led by the Learning Partnership) – focused and sustained effort to attract and retain good and outstanding teachers in Suffolk
• Work Inspiration – to increase primary and secondary pupils’ understanding of work opportunities and employability skills through further development of the education/employer brokerage and providing an online platform to showcase the economy
Beyond these priorities, Raising the Bar acts as an umbrella of other activities that will raise attainment and aspiration amongst young people in Suffolk. It embraces locality approaches to Raising the Bar (such as the initiatives in Lowestoft Rising and Newmarket Vision), promotes activities around parental engagement and supports “Rising High in Suffolk”, an initiative to provide better work opportunities for young people in local government in Suffolk.
RtB is everyone's business - we all have a part to play in supporting young people to gain the skills and qualifications that will help them to be successful in the future. If you would like to get involved with Raising the Bar or would like further information please contact email@example.com.
What is in the section
Key resources relating to the background and progress of the programme
All the latest news about Raising the Bar
Find out more how about schools are teaming up with business leaders
There are a variety of funding options available to initiatives raising the attainment and aspiration of young people.
Kick start your council career with Rising High in Suffolk
After consultation with schools, the county council has adopted a new School Improvement Strategy for 2013/14-2016/17.
Recognising and rewarding the hard work that goes on in Suffolk schools, colleges, early years and all other educational settings
A learning partnership for Suffolk is currently being developed with more detailed plans due to be published
All schools know that valuing parents and providing information to families is a key part of their work.
How people across the county are committed to Raising the Bar