In order to promote the conservation, enhancement and understanding of Suffolk's distinctive historic environment:
- We maintain a record of archaeology and heritage assets, the Historic Environment Record.
- We provide advice to planners, developers and farmers.
- We identify and record finds made by members of the public.
- We offer a contract field archaeology service for recording sites threatened with destruction
- We offer innovative education packages for schools and an experimental archaeology site
- We publish the results of fieldwork and other research into Suffolk's past
We support the initiative, Alliance to Reduce Crime against Heritage (ARCH), by English Heritage, the police and the Crown Prosecution Service to tackle all types of heritage crime (for example illegal metal detecting, damage to scheduled monuments or listed buildings). For Ipswich there is an online reporting system and useful local contact information. Further advice is also available from Suffolk Police
What is in the section
We identify and record archaeological objects found by members of the public
The Historic Environment Record (HER) records information about the nature and location of archaeological sites, monuments, buildings and historic landscape.
The Archaeology Service gives advice about the conservation of Suffolk's historic environment