We work with KierMG as Suffolk Highways to maintain, manage and improve the public highway network in Suffolk.
The public highway consists of any verge, footway, carriageway, bridleway or footpath, whether or not maintained at public expense, and over which the public has a right of way.
Report a problem
You can report a non-emergency:
- street lighting and lit equipment problem by logging a fault online
- traffic signal problem by calling Imtech on 0800 298 6815
- parking or speeding enforcement issue by contacting Suffolk Police (Please note: parking enforcement in Ipswich is the responsibility of Ipswich Borough Council)
- trunk road problem by calling the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000
- public rights of way issue using this online form
- other highway problem by using our Highways Reporting Tool
Do not report a highways emergency online - call 0345 606 6171. Find out more about highways emergencies
We have to fulfil a number of statutory duties in our role as Highway Authority for these roads, many of which are contained in the Highways Act 1980.
The Highway Maintenance Operational Plan sets out our approach to providing the highway maintenance service to meet our statutory duties.
Please note, we are not responsible for the maintenance of:
- trunk roads (A11, A12, A14 in Suffolk) (PDF, 311KB) which are the responsibility of the Highways England;
- private roads which are usually the responsibility of the people who access their properties from the private road.
You can keep up to date with highways issues by following us on social media - follow Suffolk Highways on Twitter.
What is in the section
We assess, maintain, and strengthen bridges in Suffolk to comply with European Union requirements.
We aim to provide and maintain as far as possible safe and accessible public highways.
- Additional Highway Maintenance Funding
- Highway Drainage
- Highway Emergencies
- Highway Insurance Claims
- Intervention criteria for highway defects
- Obstructions on roads and footways
- Pothole Challenge
- Road resurfacing
- Road adoption and naming
- Roundabout sponsorship
- Slurry sealing of pavements
- Surface dressing
- Trees, Grass and Vegetation
- Explore Highway Maintenance further
Kerbside parking is controlled in a variety of ways. Drivers must look out for parking restrictions and obey the regulations.
Public rights of way provide a healthy, safe and sustainable way to access the countryside and other local services.
You can report a non-emergency problem in Suffolk quickly and easily online. Use our Highways Reporting Tool to report new defects or monitor existing reports.
Find latest information about roadworks and road improvements planned for Suffolk.
We keep highways safe and usable in winter. Learn how we work to keep roads free from snow and ice.
We manage, maintain and repair most streetlights and other lit equipment on roads and pavements in Suffolk.