We are working with KierMG as Suffolk Highways to maintain, manage and improve the public highway network in Suffolk.
The public highway consists of any verge, footway, carriageway, bridleway or footpath, whether or not maintained at public expense, and over which the public has a right of way.
Report a problem
You can report a problem quickly and easily online using our Highways Reporting Tool.
Please use the links below to find more information:
- pothole and other defect repair,
- street lighting;
- traffic signals and lit signs;
- highway emergencies,
- road safety or traffic management;
- bridge and highways structures;
- salting, gritting and snow clearing - Follow us on Twitter @suff_highways for the latest on salting and gritting across the county;
For other Highway enquiries call our Customer Services team on 0345 606 6171.
(Read about the change from 0845 to 0345 numbers).
We have to fulfil a number of statutory duties in our role as Highway Authority for these roads, many of which are contained in the Highways Act 1980. The Highway Maintenance Operational Plan sets out our approach to providing the highway maintenance service to meet our statutory duties.
Please note, we are not responsible for the maintenance of:
- trunk roads (A11, A12, A14 in Suffolk) (PDF, 89KB) which are the responsibility of the Highways Agency;
- private roads which are usually the responsibility of the people who access their properties from the private road.
What is in the section
We assess, maintain, and strengthen bridges in Suffolk to comply with European Union requirements.
We aim to provide and maintain as far as possible safe and accessible public highways.
- Additional Highway Maintenance Funding
- Highway Drainage
- Highway Emergencies
- Highway Insurance Claims
- Intervention criteria for highway defects
- Local Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund bid
- Obstructions on roads and footways
- Pothole Challenge
- Road resurfacing
- Road adoption and naming
- Roundabout sponsorship
- Slurry sealing of pavements
- Surface dressing
- Trees, Grass and Vegetation
- Explore Highway Maintenance further
Kerbside parking is controlled in a variety of ways. Drivers must look out for parking restrictions and obey the regulations.
Public rights of way provide a healthy, safe and sustainable way to access the countryside and other local services.
You can report a problem in Suffolk quickly and easily online. Use our Highways Reporting Tool to report new defects or see the status of existing reports.
Find latest information about roadworks and road improvements planned for Suffolk.
We keep highways safe and usable in winter. Learn how we work to keep roads free from snow and ice.
We manage, maintain and repair most streetlights and other lit equipment on roads and pavements in Suffolk.