Dropped Kerbs (vehicular accesses)

Processing applications for vehicular accesses (dropped kerbs)

Vehicular access (dropped kerb)



New or changes to existing dropped kerbs or vehicular accesses on to a publicly maintained highway require permission from us, as highway authority, before construction. It is also a legal requirement under the New Roads and Street Works Act that any contractor excavating or working in the highway has accreditation and public liability insurance.

List of contractors with accreditation and public liability insurance - please note the contact information has been provided by the contractors on the list and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.


Current planning permission from the district or borough council may be required where the:

  • access will lead on to an A, B or C class road;
  • access will be within a Conservation Area or the property is a listed building;
  • area to be paved is more than 5sq m;
  • access will be to commercial or industrial premises or to a building which has more than one dwelling such as a flat or maisonette.

Tenants of rented properties will require the consent of the owner of the property.


To apply for a vehicular access, please download our vehicular access application form, read the guidance notes section, complete the form and return it to us, with attachments (including £100 fee) at the address shown on the form. 


An administration fee of £100 will be charged by us to cover the cost of processing this application - this fee will not be refunded even if  permission for the crossing is refused.

The applicant will have to meet the full cost of providing or altering the vehicular access.

Trunk roads

If you want to apply for a vehicular access on to a trunk road (PDF, 311KB) please contact the Highways England Information Line.

If the emergency is in Ipswich, please contact Ipswich Borough Council
If the emergency is on a trunk road (PDF, 17.7kb) please contact the Highways Agency Information Line.

If you are considering surfacing your front garden to provide a hard standing for vehicles please read the Guidance on the surfacing of front gardens on the Communities and Local Government website.