Dropped Kerbs (vehicular accesses)

Processing applications for vehicular accesses (dropped kerbs)

Dropped kerbIf you want a new dropped kerb or vehicular access to your property from a publicly maintained highway, you will need our permission, as highway authority, and have the work carried out by an authorised person.  This also applies to changes to an existing dropped kerb or vehicular access.  You will have to meet the full cost of providing or altering the vehicular access. Tenants of rented properties will require the consent of the owner of their property before proceeding.  Current planning permission from the district or borough council may also be required where the:

  • access will lead on to an A, B or C class road;
  • access will be within a Conservation Area or the property is a listed building;
  • area to be paved is more than 25sq m;
  • access will be to commercial or industrial premises or to a building which has more than one dwelling such as a flat or maisonette.

To apply for a vehicular access, please download and complete our vehicular access application form (Word, 121.10KB). An administration fee of £100 will be charged by us to cover the cost of processing this application - this fee will not be refunded even if  permission for the crossing being refused by us.  You will need to enclose this fee with the completed application form, along with any other necessary current permissions.  

If you want to apply for a vehicular access on a trunk road (PDF, 88.15KB) please contact the Highways Agency Information Line.

If the emergency is in Ipswich, please contact Ipswich Borough Council
If the emergency is on a trunk road (PDF, 17.7kb) please contact the Highways Agency Information Line.

If you are considering surfacing your front garden to provide a hard standing for vehicles please read the Guidance on the surfacing of front gardens on the Communities and Local Government website.