If your house or business is situated in an area liable to be affected by flooding, you are strongly advised to spend some time and money preparing and planning for a flood event.
- Look at your flood protection options and buy those that best fit your needs
- Agree a plan of action within your household or property
- Know the location of your airbricks and how to protect them
- Know how to turn your mains power/gas supplies off
- Prepare an emergency bag with radio, batteries and a torch upstairs
- Keep or move irreplaceable sentimental items upstairs
By taking these simple preparatory measures, you could be saving yourself and your family from serious physical, financial and emotional hurt that flooding can cause. You may be able to recover physically and financially from the affect of flooding, but all too often the long term emotional effects on a family are not so quickly fixed.
- More detailed guidance can be seen on the Environment Agency website
- Find out if you live in an area at risk from flooding - Am I at risk of flooding?
- Prepare your home for flooding (PDF - 374kb) - Environment Agency leaflet