There are around 5,000 young people in Suffolk that are eligible for a free school meal but not currently claiming one. If they all claimed the meal they are entitled to, Suffolk Schools would be £5 million better off.
More than 12,000 children in Suffolk already receive a free school meal. This saves their families around £400 a year and gives £900 (per child) of additional funding to their school.
Is your child eligible?
Your child will be able to get free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, as long as you do not get a Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- If you are supported under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after your employment finishes or after you start to work less hours per week.
To check if your child is eligible, simply call us on 01473 260989 (Ipswich/Lowestoft and surrounding area) or 01284 758883 (Bury St Edmunds and surrounding area).
Got a question about free school meals? Take a look at our FAQ (frequently asked questions) page.
How to apply
To apply for free school meals - access our online application system
If you apply using the online system, you will be sent emails to confirm that we have received your application, and when it has been approved.
You can get a paper application form by:
- Asking the reception at your child’s school.
- Download a form which is available from this link
- Calling us on 0845 606 6067.
Once completed you can either hand the form into your child’s school or post it directly to us.
Once we have confirmed if your child is eligible, we will write to you and your child’s school. If we cannot confirm your eligibility we will contact you for qualifying documentation.
If your child is about to start school full-time and you already have an older child receiving a free meal, you do not need to fill in a new application form, just contact us before your younger child starts school full-time.