From Monday 15 January 2018 to Thursday 1 March 2018 we are asking for views on the draft post-16 travel policy for September 2018.
Every year, we are required to consult on the post-16 travel policy by law. The final policy then must be published by 31 May, ready for the start of the new academic year in September.
It is important to note that we are currently consulting on proposals to change school and post-16 travel policies from September 2019. To have your say on policies for 2019 visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/schooltravel.
Consultation proposals for September 2018/19
Using feedback from families, young people and other users, we have updated the post-16 travel policy for 2018/2019 so it provides greater clarity in terms of:
- Readability for young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (taking into account the updated statutory guidance published by the Department for Education in October 2017).
- Section 4 - exceptional and extenuating circumstances.
There are no changes proposed to the service that young people will receive in the academic year 2018/19.
Read the draft post-16 travel policy for 2018/2019 (PDF, 279KB).
|Monday 15 January 2018 to Thursday 1 March 2018||Consultation period|
|Friday 2 March 2018 to Friday 9 March 2018||Consultation analysis|
|Tuesday 15 May 2018||Cabinet will consider the feedback and a recommendation on the post-16 travel policy for September 2018*|
*All local authorities in the country are required to publish their Post-16 Travel Policy by 31 May each year, in preparation for September.
Have your say
To get involved with the consultation you can get in touch online, by post or telephone.
Complete the post-16 travel policy survey.
Request a survey to be sent to you:
- Email: Post-16Travel@suffolk.gov.uk
- Telephone: 0345 603 1842 (open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6pm)
Return the completed survey to:Suffolk County Council – post-16 travel policy 2018/19 consultation
8 Russell Road
You can call our consultation line and complete the survey on 0345 603 1842. This service is available from 8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).
Please ensure that your response reaches us by midnight on Thursday 1 March 2018.
- Department for Education: Post-16 transport to education and training – Statutory guidance for local authorities (October 2017) (PDF)
- Suffolk On Board: Home to school transport
- School and post-16 travel consultation (policies from September 2019)
- Suffolk Local Offer
- Education Act 1996
- Children and Families Act 2014
- Equality Act 2010