Suffolk very much welcomes applications from carers who were previously or are currently approved by another fostering provider. Many of our current foster carers have successfully transferred having previously been registered with other fostering providers.
Why foster for Suffolk?
Suffolk County Council is responsible for all Suffolk children who need foster care. We will always place our children with our own foster carers where possible. This means that:
- We are better able to match children as we know both the carer and the child.
- We can provide placements for children aged 0-18, and for all types of needs.
- Our carers rarely have a vacancy.
- The team around the child are more likely to know each other well and work for the same organisation.
- The children who we need to place with carers working for other fostering providers tend to be older children or those with more challenging needs.
- It is best value for money for Suffolk residents.
With over 300 foster carers in Suffolk we can provide support groups throughout the county and there will always be carers near to where you live for extra support.
- Suffolk foster carers can access the full range of training available to council staff and therefore will attend training alongside social workers and other members of the child care teams. Learning opportunities range from short one-day courses, longer accredited training, including the Diploma in childcare, e-learning and distance learning courses.
- We provide 24hr support.
- Access to local specialised services, including education, health and therapeutic services.
- We provide loan of essential equipment such as beds and baby equipment if needed and a computer if you have a school aged child.
- In addition to the weekly allowances and fees we pay additional allowances for holidays and birthdays, and pay for all mileage to attend training, professional meetings and contact.
- Fee paid scheme for carers offering to care for older children, sibling groups or parent and child placements.
- Up to 21 days paid respite.
Once you have decided that you would like to transfer we will ensure that the process is made as quick and seamless as possible.
If you would like an informal discussion to help you make a decision about whether you would like to transfer please contact us today on 0800 328 2148.
You can also keep up with what's happening in the service by following us on Facebook.