Highway licences

To carry out work/place anything on a publicly maintainable road/path you will almost certainly require a licence.

There are two types of highway licence - those which you will have to pay for and those which are free.

Examples of licences which have to be paid for:

Free licences include:

  • building bus shelters,
  • erecting village signs, 
  • installing grit bins,
  • installing hanging baskets,
  • installing seats on grass verges and pavements,
  • placing tables and chairs on the pavement;
  • planting (for example flowers on roundabouts, bulbs and trees in highway verges),
  • putting advertising banners across streets.

To apply for a highway licence, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 0345 606 6171 (read about the change from 0845 to 0345 numbers).

If you want to apply for a highway licence on a trunk road (PDF, 311KB), please contact Highways England.

We cannot issue licences to trade from the highway eg in lay-bys - please contact your borough or district council.

If you want to close a street for a sporting event such as a fun run or race, social event or other entertainment such as a fair, please read the information on our events on the highway including street parties page on this website.