A weighbridge is machine used to weigh large vehicles like trains, lorries and boats.
A weighbridge operator must be certified to show that they can:
- use the equipment properly
- use associated equipment
- record and calculate the results of weighings
You cannot operate a weighbridge until your certificate has been granted.
Before you complete the application form you must read and understand the guidance notes for public weighbridge operators (PDF, 50KB).
You can apply for a weighbridge operator certificate by emailing email@example.com.Start
The application process
Once you have completed and submitted the online form you will be visited by an inspector.
The inspector will test you verbally and practically to show you can:
- operate a weighbridge safely
- complete the necessary paperwork
- show understanding of weighing practice, procedures, records and tickets
The inspector will also inspect the weighbridge.
After you apply
Once completed you should return this to:Trading Standards
8 Russell Road
You must keep a record of each weighing for 2 years, including:
- the date and time of the weighing
- the name and address of the person who requested the weighing
- vehicle information
- the type of load on the vehicle
If circumstances change that may affect your ability to use a weighbridge contact us.
Your licence will only be valid for the weighbridge type(s) that you were tested for.
If you have any questions about this licence, contact the Trading Standards team.
Phone: 01473 264859