Mr Nigel Parsley is HM Senior Coroner for Suffolk.
He is assisted in his duties by:
- Area Coroner: Mrs Jacqueline Devonish
- Assistant Coroner: Dr Dan Sharpstone
Browse the tabs below to find out more about the role of the Coroner in Suffolk.
What is a Coroner?
- judicial office holders
- independent and appointed directly by the Crown
- responsible for investigating deaths in Suffolk to find out how, when and where they occurred
- qualified with substantial experience as a lawyer or doctor (or sometimes both)
Assistant Coroners are part-time appointments, which the post holders combine with other professional duties.
What does a Coroner do?
The Coroner will investigate a death if:
- it was violent, unnatural or suspicious
- the cause of death is unknown
- the person died in prison, police custody or any type of state detention
Investigating a death may be as simple as consulting with the doctor who last treated the person who has died, or a post-mortem examination may be needed.
In some cases, an inquest may be opened, which is a judicial inquiry into the death.
A case takes place in the Coroner Court. The Coroner Court rooms are at Beacon House, Ipswich.
Main court room
Small court room
What is a Coroner's Officer?
The Coroner has a team of officers. They liaise on his behalf with bereaved relatives, police, doctors, mortuary staff, hospital bereavement staff and funeral directors.
Coroner's Officers are the people you will speak to when you get in touch with the office.
If an inquest is opened into your relative's death, one particular officer will take responsibility for the case. They will then be your ongoing point of contact.
Contact the Coroner Court and officesThe Coroners Court and officesBeacon HouseWhitehouse RoadIpswichIP1 5PB
Telephone: 0345 607 2040
- Open Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 4pm
- Closed weekends and bank holidays
For information about reporting a death, please refer to reporting deaths to the Coroner.
For general enquiries, please email the Coroner's administration team:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0345 607 2040, dial option 3
Comments and compliments
Download the Coroner Service complaints and compliments policy (PDF, 28KB).
Read the Suffolk Coroner's Service privacy notice.